Thursday, May 27, 2010

In the beginning...

In the beginning there was nothing. You would think there must have been something there but nope, you are wrong. There was nothing at all. Then out of nowhere, nothing did something and then there was stuff all over the place! From nothing at all we suddenly get stars and rocks, and atoms, cells, planets, and some guy named Bob!  We can't fathom just how the heck we go from nothing to all these things but there we have it, nothing and then lots of stuff. We can't imagine it yet we have witness this amazing wonderment of something from nothing all the time. You may not have noticed it but its here, there, and everywhere around you! Parents look at a child in a vegetative state in front of the TV, there's nothing going on in the head of that child. Not at that moment anyway. But then the parent will say something like, "It's lunch time!" and suddenly this child bursts into life! A mind filled with nothing is suddenly filled with the thought of food! Something from nothing! 


Okay, you might think I'm pulling your leg here. I claim it to be true! You can ask that child while they watch that TV, "Hey kid, what are you thinking?" and they will tell you, "Nothing..." You tell them there is pizza and watch as the nothing turns into, "Pizza! Oh man I've been thinking about having pizza all day!" Something from nothing.


You look at a TV and think, "There's nothing on." even though you have press the magic button which has supplied power to this box fill with nothing and somehow still have nothing! As you press more buttons and change from one nothing to another, suddenly your eye catches something! It fills your brain with joy and excitement! You say out loud, "I guess I'll watch this." Just a moment ago you claimed there was nothing there and then this magic box suddenly gives you something!


People will drive their car. They will take a really quick look before they turn and think, "Nope, nothing is there." and proceed to "punch it". As if like magic, a car smacks right into them! Where they saw nothing, someone else saw some stupid jerk named Bob pull out in front of them. Again, something from nothing.


There is something very strange to all of this something from nothing business though. I have realized that you can also have something to nothing! I know! Mind blowing isn't it? How the heck can you have nothing, turn into something, and then back to nothing? Let me explain...


I sit at my desk at home and turn to look at my video game library. At one point there was something there. It was once filled with video gaming bliss! Now I look at that same library of games and think, "There is nothing there." sad... I know... very sad. What was once something, turned to nothing right before my eyes! Now my wife will look at this same spot in the office and say, "What are you talking about, you have like a hundred games there, pick something and play it!" Where I am sure there is nothing there anymore, she is more sure that there is something in fact there. I assume she is suffering from some sort of break down, after all the mind does boggle at the idea of something from nothing or something to nothing. It can be hard to deal with. So I attempt to go to the gaming store in order for something to be in my library of games again, but the wife proceeds to tell me about how there is nothing in my wallet and the reason for that is do to all the "somethings" that are on the shelves of my gaming library. And how it will be a cold day in some sort of scary place before I spend more of the nothing in my wallet to make something magically appear on my gaming shelves. I then look at my video game library and suddenly, as if by magic, its filled with all sorts of stuff! Wow! My wife was able to over come something turned to nothing by making it something again! 


So as I gaze at my video game library that magically re-appeared in front of me by the god like powers of my wife. I think about the universe and how there was once nothing, then suddenly there was all kinds of something everywhere and as long as I have my wife at my side there will ALWAYS be something there. It sure does put my mind at ease.




You didn't ask what was on my mind, but I told you anyway...


--Drew

No comments:

Post a Comment